What to expect from a LEEP
- Take 3 Aleve or Advil 30 minutes before you arrive to have the procedure performed.
- You will be explained the procedure in detail by our doctor.
- You will be asked to sign a consent form, giving your permission to perform the procedure.
- You will wear a hospital gown and mask.
- Your feet will be placed in stirrups and you will be draped with a sheet just like a pap smear.
- A speculum will be placed in the vagina so the doctor can see the cervix.
- The cervix is cleansed with Betadine.
- The cervix is then anesthetized with a local anesthetic.
- The doctor will then remove a small piece of tissue from your cervix.
- You may feel cramping during the procedure.
After LEEP instructions
- You will have some bleeding usually mixed with a blackish discharge requiring you to wear a sanitary pad.
- You may take over-the-counter pain medicines such as Advil, Aleve, or Tylenol for pain if needed.
- It is normal to have a brownish discharge for up to 2 weeks. It will likely have an odor.
- You should not have intercourse, douche, or wear tampons for 2 weeks.
- You will have a repeat pap smear in 4 months.
Please call us with any of the following:
- Temperature greater than 100.4
- Bright red vaginal bleeding heavier than a period.
Call us with any questions.
- The results of the LEEP will be back in about one week, and we will call you as soon as we receive them.